Friday, November 2, 2012

DBA Special: Anglo Saxons and some baggage.




DBA III 24 617 - 700 AD Middle Anglo-Saxon ... Wb Gen + 1xWb; 8x Sp; 1xCv; 1xPs.

I generally post some army profile pictures shortly after the DBA Open.   Although I went with the Gepids at the Open, I used these Angles at Eastern Front and against Ian the other day.  They are mostly Spear with a general and fanatical bodyguard rated as Warband.  This can be a lethal unit in an infantry fight but is very brittle in front of Knights (who'd want to be Anglo-Saxon if there's a Norman army at large?)

8 x Spears; Warband General; 1 x Warband: the Anglo line of battle ...

Figures are New Era Donnington, Gladiator, Essex and Chariot (about evenly matched) with one or two Museum, Tabletop, Two Dragons, Lurkio, A Touller, Outpost, Lancashire and Thistle & Rose mixed in for variety.  Not a bad collection for a 12 element army!

The general and personal retinue: the general's element and splendid standard are all New Era Donnington, the Warband are (L to R) Touller, Gladiator and Two Dragons.

I think the ranges mix well together.  I was particularly concerned that I'd not get away with the Two Dragons figures (which I pretty much bought by mistake) but they just about fit in.

I used 3 figures on the Warband element to make it more obvious alongside the Spears.  The general's element is obvious enough - but as usual I have clipped the back corners off.

 A Cavalry and a Psiloi ... are the eyes, ears, legs and wellies for the army ...

Chariot cavalry, the Psiloi being an Essex and a Gladiator ...

Camp Follower and Barker Marker ...

The Camp Follower is a Donnington model painted as some sort of indigenous painted warrior ('Woad Kill' as the English say ... and the Marker has an obvious mythical significance - the figures beside the rock are a super little vignette, I believe, by Thistle & Rose) ...

I have used my Longship Baggage with this army.   It has seen service right around the Medieval world over the years!

Baggage

Just to complete this 'eye-candy' post, I'd like to share some pictures of two recent baggage projects.

Gothic/Gepid Wagon Laager camp


This is just tidying up the Gladiator Miniatures wagon circle I have been using for some time.  I have put them on size-compliant base, and added a removable Camp Follower (the CF is that splendid little vignette from Essex) .. the left over wagons are available as singles to but up to these when I use the baggage for other games.

Roman Warship camp


This is the baggage for my coming Marian Roman army.  It will oppose the Spartacus Slave Revolt army, so plays to the 'who's bought up all the ships?' narrative ...

It is that old Heller model loaded with Irregular Miniatures barrels.  I have put a 10mm figure on the ship, a 15mm youth in the water and 15mm figures on the detachable CF element to try to scale some depth into the vignette.  I am pretty pleased with the resulting illusion.

The base is half MDF, half clear acrylic, and the ship has been pulled up onto the beach.   The shields are scavenged from surplus Chariot Miniatures figures to match the Chariot Romans I have picked for the army, and the other baggage bits are Baueda.


The Marine is Chariot and the wealthy Roman, I think, Steve Barber ...

(viewed from seabord - all pictures enlarge if clicked on ...)

4 comments:

Fire at Will said...

Great work with the trireme, shame I sold mine off as they were nice models. But if I hadn't I would have had to paint the rest of the army!

SoA Shows North said...

Thanks Will ...

Actually _I _wish I had about 40 of them to do a proper naval battle (with 10mm marines on the decks) - but that's another story ...

Sun of York said...

These are excellent, puts my motley bunch of Saxons to shame, but also provides me with some inspiration too.

Thanks, great work.

Phil said...

Absolutly excellent! A great work, very nice figures and a few wonderful stands (sanguineous...but wonderful)...
Best,
Phil.