Tuesday, September 29, 2015

12th September Newbury Racecourse

COLOURS 2015

So, after a year off, Colours returned ... still at fabulous Newbury Racecourse (loads of light, loads of space, loads of free parking ... ) ... but now a more 'trader friendly' one day format.

And I thought it was very good ... good big crowds, plenty of good games, most of the usual traders ...
(contemplating victory or defeat with the Society of Ancients at Zama )

... rather light perhaps on the fashionably sprawling 28mm games (maybe more to play rather than to ogle and that's no bad thing in my book ... ) ..

The Society of Ancients was on the same floor as the Bring & Buy but less affected by the long barrier queues that have hit us in the past.  Indeed it was a good experience throughout and our Lost Battle, Zama, was a winner.



This is the Society's 50th year and it was a great pleasure to be visited by one of the early activists, Neville Dickinson (he of Minifgs) ... Not everyone agreed about strategies and directions in those days ...

(Neville Dickinson chats with Eric on the Society stand at Colours)

Elsewhere the ancient/medieval enthusiast had plenty to enjoy especially he excellent Agincourt game from the Staines design stable which we enjoyed playing at Campaign earlier in the year ...

(Staines Agincourt game)

also around the show my eye was caught by some nice participations games and splendid larger scale ECW ...



... and I really like the way the biplane enthusiasts had tried to do their clouds ... I have tried my hand a rule devising for this period and 'terrain' and visibility is important up there (but not always well managed) - thumbs up to them: my own solution is still under wraps for now ...


... and I can't resist including a couple of vehicle shots from the desert in glorious 15mm ...



So, a great show (as I hope the pictures suggest) with lots to see and do - much of the regular trade fair and a good 'traditional' Bring & Buy with (I thought) a range of stuff for sale and bargains to be had.

It also seemed to me that people pretty much stayed for a full value afternoon (no 3pm pack up) - I presume down to the combination of just being one day, the Bring & Buy and the number of things to do ...

I hope that means Colours is back on the regular schedule and, yes, the one day format seemed to have worked.

For us the highlight was probably meeting Neville Dickinson (he founded the company that made my first metal figures, of course ...) ...

See you all at Derby where we will be combining with the Northampton Battlefields Society and doing Yarmuk ...

No comments: