Monday, May 28, 2018

2018 so far - some more DBA


No update on what's going on round here would be complete without the local DBA games that we use to keep our ancients collection in use and fill in the odd Monday night.

We have DBA armies in most scales but usually play either in 15mm or 1:72 ...  but I do like the slightly more 'proper battle' look of 10mm (on standard 40 wide bases) ...

Here's a typical evening from a week or so ago ...

Game 1 ... 



My Goths took on Treb's Byzantines ... both 15mm armies had been stood down for a while so it was good to get them fighting.  I think Belisaruius was a bit slow to come up from reserve.  It didn't go well.

Game 2 ...


Treb's  15mm Burmese and Khmer ... this was the start of our conversation.  I recently played with and lost with Burmese at the Northern Cup.  I got the Khmer this time.  The Burmese still lost.

Spectacular Irregular figures ...

Game 3: Roman Civil War


This is my 10mm Pharsalus set respun as a 'by the book' 12v12 DBA table.

Treb rolled a 1 as defender so the plough he assumed would be irrelevant wasn't.

(10mm DBA ... Marian Roman)

I thought I had this one as Caesar ... Pompey let the muddy ploughed slow his flanks so ended up with is centre over-exposed (or so I thought).  I felt ready to pounce.


But, notwithstanding some early successes, I struggled to make real capital out of the advantages (DBA can be like that) and eventually Treb got into a winning position ...

(Legionary slogging action)

It was a good game.  romans are hard to beat ... even with Romans.

See what I mean about the extra sense of mass 10mm can get you ... 

Also out and about recently ...

(Vikings)

(Pre Feudal Scots) 

(Medieval Germans) 

All 15mm armies.

We usually collect armies in battle related pairs.

No comments: